Friday, January 20, 2012

6 Minerets


Count how many minarets in the picture. 5? Yes, but its supposed to be 6. Somehow I lost the other one. Its quite an interesting story behind the 6 minarets, as it is usually four minarets. In fact, the world made a big fuss about it as usually there is only four minarets in a mosque, until Masjidil Haram in Mecca added a 5th minaret.


So the story, my friend told me, was that when the Sultan, Sultan Ahmed ordered the mimar, (architect), Sedefkar Mehmed Agha  to build the mosque, he wanted the dome and minarets to be made of gold. Hearing this, the architect did not agree with the idea as he thinks its wasting the kingdom's money. So he designed a mosque with 6 minarets, which 6 in Turkce is  altı , is close to the word altın, gold. So when it was finished and the Sultan asked, why 6 minarets? where is my gold minarets? The architect said, owh gold minarets? I thought u said 6 minarets! Pandainyeee

No comments:

Post a Comment